Thursday, July 2, 2015

Baird's Barn, Antique Fun

Remember the other day I mentioned the article in the auto club magazine? This was one of the places in Roseburg it talked about to go and see. On our travels in and around town we'd seen the sign at the road but never thought twice about it. This is Riversdale Valley Farm and Baird's Barn. 

There is a sign at the road but the actual barn is set back about a quarter of a mile so it's not really obvious. But I'm glad we found it.

It's a couple of barns full of neat antiquey stuff. 

We didn't call before so nobody was there. We looked around anyway. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to buy anything just yet but I always like to poke around places like this. Of course there is always the possibility that I would get something in the future for our new house.

Just as we were getting ready to leave the owner came over in his tractor. He had been putting up hay and saw our car parked. He unlocked the wooden barn (first picture above) for us to look around. That building has more indoor type of stuff (furniture, household goodies, etc).

He was very nice and quite talkative. We learned that he has another farm in Kansas. He visits there occasionally and returns with a big trailer load of stuff.  

I saw two things I would have bought but they didn't have prices on them. So I asked about them. One was a big street sign with a crazy bull on it and the other was a big bell that hangs on the side of a building. Well as luck would have it neither of those items was for sale. I felt slightly like I was in an episode of American Pickers, where they go to a "collector" and try to buy something but they keep getting turned down.

Oh well, maybe next time. I told him to find a bell for me on his next trip.

This guy was a little camera shy.

Mr. Baird told us this guy was 18 years old and deaf. He deserves a nap.

Neither of the cats was for sale either.

There will be a big sale the weekend after the 4th of July weekend. We might have to go back! Otherwise if you visit I'd recommend you call first so he can open everything up and turn the lights on for you. The address is 3880 Garden Valley Blvd, and the phone is (541) 673-6470.


No comments: