Monday, April 4, 2016

Wildlife Safari Visit

Just a few miles south of Roseburg is the little town of Winston, home of the Wildlife Safari. Basically its a drive through zoo.  We have never been there before so while the kids were visiting over Easter vacation week we decided to drive on down.

It's not real cheap (by my standards) with tickets at $17.99 for adults and $11.99 for kids. So that would have been $65.96 for all of us. However I found a little link at the bottom of their website for discount tickets. We ordered our tickets from there at a 15% discount so I only ended up paying $56.06. Better than full price!! I was a little leary about doing it that way but the tickets were available immediately and all I had to do was print them off and away we went.

What we were not expecting was the giant line of cars waiting to get in. But it was after all, a holiday week. We finally got near the beginning and saw an employee directing some cars to the right and some cars to the left. Turns out since we were "prepaid" we got to go to the left and drive right in; no more waiting for us!

At the entrance gate we were handed a map of the grounds and given a few simple rules. Stay in the car. Do not feed the animals (except at the specific designated feeding areas). And if the rhinoceros was near the road do not stop! I guess she can get a littly grumpy.

I had my telephoto lens on and with that and the ability to cut and crop I got a few decent pictures.







Of course these aren't really exotic but the wild turkeys were strutting their stuff.

Lioness.

Lion.




I've always loved hippos. Maybe because in German their name means Nile Horse.


Missing an antler/horn.

Along the way there was a big hold up in traffic. Some moron decided to ignore the rules and they were feeding an ostrich. Of course they stopped in the middle of the road so no one could go around. After they finally moved to the side the ostrich decided to try its luck on the next cars. Our windows were rolled up. NO BREAD FOR YOU!!

Giving us the stink eye.


The bears weren't very active.




My high school mascot, the bison! RAH RAH!





More pictures later!

No comments: